EPA is announcing plans to initiate national rulemaking to establish a program to reduce stormwater discharges from new development and redevelopment and make other regulatory improvements to strengthen its stormwater program. This affects owners, operators, developers, and contractors of new development and redevelopment as well as the owners and operators of MS4s.
EPA has issued a Federal Register Notice (PDF) (6 pp, 76K) seeking stakeholder input to help EPA shape a program to reduce stormwater impacts. Input will be provided through both written comments and during a series of public listening sessions. As described in the FR Notice, EPA seeks input on the following preliminary regulatory considerations:
- Expand the area subject to federal stormwater regulations
- Establish specific requirements to control stormwater discharges from new development and redevelopment
- Develop a single set of consistent stormwater requirements for all MS4s
- Require MS4s to address stormwater discharges in areas of existing development through retrofitting the sewer system or drainage area with improved stormwater control measures
- Explore specific stormwater provisions to protect sensitive areas
Written comments must be submitted on or before February 26, 2010 to the address specified in the Federal Register notice.